What should I consider when buying a steel building?
10 things to consider when buying a steel building
Here are Miracle Span's recommendations :-
- Consider exactly what you need your steel building to do for you. It is better to get the design right while you have the opportunity.
- Decide what size you want your steel building to be. You'll need a good idea of the width, length and inside clearance required to get a realistic price.
- Decide whether your building will need to be insulated.In most cases steel buildings will need insulating unless the are used for general storage.
- Think about whether your building will need fire protection. The implication of Building Regulations needs to be considered. Your buiding use and the nearness of neighbouring properties have a bearing on this. Your steel building supplier should be able to advise you.
- Decide how many doors & windows you need and what sizes they need to be. You'll need to think about door clearance so your plant and equipment can access.
- Think about your preferences for style & colour. It's advisable to opt for a type of building that will fit in with surrounding structures.
- Contact your local planning department to find out whether you will need planning permission. An informal chat with your planning department can often set you on the right path and advise what you will need to take into account, for example, whether your proposed site is subject to flooding.
- Decide whether you want to asssemble your own building or employ a constractor to do it for you. You will need to consider whether you have the skill and experience needed to take on the project yourself. If you decide to use a contractor, it is worth spending a bit more to be sure they are health & safety compliant - erecting steel buildings can be dangerous in untrained hands!
- Take a look at similar steel buildings near you and follow up references before selecting your supplier. There is no recommendation like word of mouth.
- Think about how you will finance your steel building project. Steel building companies will usually require stage payments through out your project.